Wednesday, August 13, 2008

How Does Your Garden Grow?





Summertime brings us wonderful things like swimming, going to the beach, eating watermelon, vacations, baseball and this year the Olympics. For many people the summer also brings the wonder and fulfillment of growing a garden.

This is one of my husbands favorite things to do. He loves the planning of what to grow, planting, weeding, harvesting and then enjoying the fruits of his labor by eating the wonderful things he has grown. Having a garden in summer is a part of his life. He is from the country where having a garden was something that you just did every summer. On the other side of the coin, I grew up in the city and for me green beans was something you got at the local grocery store from a can. I never realized the difference between store bought and fresh vegetables until I visited his family while we were still dating. They were amazed that I had never eaten fresh veggies and were quick to fix things for me to eat. I have to admit, fresh veggies have a much better flavor. I think part of the better flavor comes from the pride of planting, growing, harvesting and preparing them yourself.

For a long time we didn't live in a place that we could have a garden but since we have moved out to Southside, aka the boonies, we have more than made up for it. We, or maybe I should say, Steve has a good sized garden since the first year we were here. He puts a lot of work into it and we have had many wonderful meals as a result of his labor. This year he planted corn, butter beans, green beans, peppers, squash, tomatoes, okra,watermelon and cantaloupe. I enjoy the bacon and tomato sandwiches, fresh veggies from the garden to the table, the walks we take everyday to look at how things have grown and the satisfaction on Steve's face when he looks at his garden.

There are times though, when I don't want to see him bring in another bucket full of tomatoes, corn, butter beans, etc. because I know that means we have to do something with it. I have to admit that Steve does 80% of the garden stuff. I am just the helper, and that is okay with me!!!

We have had a bountiful garden again this year and I am so happy to be able to share with others what God has blessed us with.

No comments: