Monday, August 11, 2008

Back to School....



It is hard to realize that it is time for school once again. The summer has gone by so quickly. I have been on the road to Memphis a lot this summer, taken a couple of trips and have been helping Steve work on things from the garden.

For many years I was a stay at home mom, a part of my life that I will look back with fondness but, after my youngest child graduated from high school, I knew I would need something else to help occupy my time. I applied with the Clarksville Montgomery School System and soon I had a job as a part time speech/language therapist.

I have enjoyed working part time for the past six years. The first year back I worked in two middle schools and a Head Start all in two and half days a week. The next year I was moved to Glenellen Elementary School to be the extra person needed in that school. Glenellen is the largest elementary school in our area and had enough of a case load to support a full time therapist and then me on a part time basis. (I was working three days a week at this time. ) I was blessed to meet Kristi Kimmell who was the full time therapist there. I learned a lot from her. We got along well and became good friends. She has since moved to a differen school but not until we had four fun years of working together. Last year a new therapist came in and we got along well but I knew that change would be coming for this school year. A new school had been built and rezoning would bring the numbers down so that only one full time therapist would be needed.

The call from my principal came in July that I would indeed be moving to a new school. I would be going to Norman Smith Elementary School and I would be the only one servicing that school. It seems funny not having someone to collaborate with as the start up procedures are being done. It is also strange not knowing the teachers and staff. I have found myself more than once turning down the wrong hallway, or going past the room I was looking for. I can find my room and the office and restroom but after that I am still kind of lost.

I have been greated warmly at my new school and know that before long I will be able to put names with faces and grade levels together, but for now I feel like some of the little ones I saw this morning, trying not to act afraid or lost but being that anyway!!!!

Just like the children I had opening day jitters today too. It was fun seeing their faces shining with excitment as they looked for their classrooms. Most had new backpacks and supplies that they carried so proudly. I too had a few new things for my classroom. It has been fun fixing up my room, (I have had to share a room in the past) and making it my own.

I look forward to this new school year and the adventures it will bring. I will miss my friends and my children from Glenellen but I am looking forward to the new friends and relationships that I will make in my new school.

Let the new year begin!!!!

1 comment:

Angela said...

work and a post all in one day... your readers are going to be spoiled!