Friday, March 14, 2008

Fabulous Friday (one week late)




Last Friday I found myself in White House Tennessee helping to celebrate the grand opening of yet another Wal-Mart store. I love to attend these grand openings. I have been doing so for the past 27 years. That is how long Steve has been with Wal-Mart ( actually his anniversary date is June 13th).

I stand with pride as currents of excitement run through the crowd. There is a mummer of voices as customers mingle with associates and local dignitaries that are in attendance. I find myself looking for Steve as he prepares to do his role in the grand opening ceremony itself. His role has changed over the years from being an assistant manager, co-manager, store manager and now market manager.

A hush falls over the crowd as the store manager stands at the podium ready to begin the festivities. The grand opening always begins with presentation of our American flag and singing of the national anthem. This time a chapter of the local Boy Scouts presented our flag and someone from a local radio station sang our national anthem. As I stand listening, I am once again thankful and feel much pride in my country and what it stands for. I think of Mr. Sam and his obvious love of this country which has been instilled in Wal-Mart traditions. He was a man with a dream, he worked hard, and because of him following this dream, we have Wal-Mart. I think he must smile every time a new store opens.

The singing was completed and next was a prayer from a local pastor from the area. I am so thankful to be in a country where prayers can be offered freely. As he finished, more introductions were made. The city and county mayors spoke briefly welcoming Wal-Mart to the community. They made known their thanks for what Wal-Mart does for the community besides employing over 320 people. At this particular opening Wal-Mart had given over 16,000 dollars to various charities and organizations in the White House area.

It was then time for Steve to say a few words, as I watched this man speak with pride about Wal-Mart, my heart skipped a beat. He is so handsome, I thought to myself. I love the way his eyes sparkle as he talked with excitement about the new features in this store. “This store has a new layout and new fixtures”, he said,” I know this community will enjoy what it has to offer. We are excited to be here in White House Tennessee.” There was applause from the customers as well as the associates.

Things were beginning to wind down but you can't have an opening without the Wal-Mart cheer and the ribbon cutting. The clapping began by the associates and the customers soon got caught up in the excitement and they were also clapping. “Give me a W”, someone shouted “W” was yelled back, “Give me an A”, “A”, “L”, “L”, “Give me a squiggly”, “Squiggly” (which is accompanied by a wiggly, twisty motion), this continued on with the M A R T, and then," what does that spell? In which the answer was yelled “WAL-MART”. I just love to hear and be a part of that cheer!

Next, they lined up Wal-Mart associates who had been with the company for over 20 years, the local dignitaries and the store manager. A long red ribbon with a large bow was stretched in front of them. They were give a large pair of scissors and the next thing you know the ribbon had been cut and store number #4483, White House Tennessee was officially open. It is the 110th store in the state of Tennessee.

Customers were then given pieces of cake while the local high school band started to play. The atmosphere was electric and everyone was smiling and excited. The customers began their adventures in this newest Wal-Mart. It was great to see people with shopping carts looking and buying in this new store.


The associates have worked hard and were very proud of their Wal-Mart store.

And so am I!!!!!!







1 comment:

Angela said...

I hate that I missed dad demonstrating the "squiggly"! It's too funny!

You picked a good one in him. He's the best!