Sunday, April 27, 2008

Passing Time

Where does the time go? I have asked this question numerous times over the past four weeks. It was four weeks ago yesterday that my family surprised me with a wonderful 50th birthday party. I felt and was treated like a queen! I even had a crown to wear! I was so honored and blessed to be treated in such a special way. I was going to blog about it right afterwards but one thing led to another and the blog got pushed to the side.


As I began to reflect on the party and all the wonderful things of my birthday week, I also began to reflect upon the years leading up to this milestone event. I think that when you turn 50, you have a right to be in a reflecting state. I realized that I am no longer a little chick that needs to be constantly taken care of by her mother chicken. I also realized that I am no longer a spring chicken,( as evidenced by the back pain I woke up with the day after my birthday, no kidding!)
I want to think that I am the same Barbara that I used to be; but reality hit me when I realized that I look forward to going to bed at 9:00 and that I like to take naps!


When you start to think about your life, I mean really think about it, you can react in one of two ways. You can look back at it with regrets and beat yourself up about what you did or didn't do, the choices you made or didn't make OR you can look back and think about the blessings that you have as a result of your life. All of us have blessings, we may not recognize them for what they are but we have them. We all make mistakes and have made choices that may not have been the greatest. We may have regrets and think "if only", but I have found that if you choose to dwell on these then you are hindering yourself from being the one God intended you to be. You are limiting the God of the Universe from using you to be His vessel because you are so wrapped up in you that you forget about Him.


As I begin my life as a 50 year old (half a century ) woman, I am once again reminded to live each day to the fullest. I want to remember to smile and hopefully make others smile as well. I want to continue to be a good wife, mother, daughter, and sister. I want to make a difference in this world by shining the Light of Jesus wherever I go. I want to pursue the calling that He has for me and to encourage others to do the same. I won't let the passing of time be something that I look back on with regret but instead with fondness. What about you?

No comments: