Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Plans Change



I was supposed to be at Wal-Mart right now buying school supplies with the generous gift the PTO at my school gave to each teacher. We were to ask for the Wal-Mart credit card if we wanted to shop there so yesterday I asked for the card for today because I knew I had to stay in town for a meeting at 6:00 but the
lady who hands out the credit cards at school left early today. Not her fault I had to change my plans, not my fault either. I could have gotten mad or gotten a bad attitude but what good would that do. It did make me a little frustrated because I had my plan ready to go. I sat at my desk at school and thought about it, do I go home only to drive thirty minutes back to town for the meeting or what? I didn’t want to shop, I didn’t want to stay at work and then I had a light bulb moment. I can go to Starbucks and get a coffee (decaf of course!!) I thought “I can go write a blog and drink coffee at Starbucks, how cool will that be!” So here I am drinking coffee and writing.

I started writing and within 10 minutes Angela called, we had a nice con
versation, then Ben beeped in so I let her go and talked to Ben, he was on his lunch break, then Steve beeped in and I had to laugh to myself. I guess I will change my plans again. I wouldn’t trade talking with them for anything; I just think it is funny that when I had a new plan all made, bam, change of plans, no writing for a while.

I now have a few more minutes before the meeting and I am thinking about plans. My plans are sometimes so superficial; I think to myself, what is in it for me, what do I want to do. I think that I get so into things of the world that I forget that He is the one who I should ask about plans. One of my most favorite verses ever is from Jeremiah 29:11, “For I know the plans I have for you, says the Lord, plans for welfare and not for calamity to give you a future and a hope.” This is one of Angela’s favorite verses too. So it is even more special. I got to thinking about plans and how futile they sometimes can be. Planning is a good thing, it is good to be prepared and even think about if plan A doesn’t work then try plan B and so on. If all else fails then you can punt!! Just don’t stress, that will not get you anywhere but in a bad mood.

I think God wants us to plan so that we can be all that we can be for Him and the furthering of His Kingdom. When we get to the point that our joy is gone because we have become so desperate to make sure our plans go just the way we want or we feel that we have failed, then we need to stop and examine our motives for planning. Is it to be more effective or to be in control? I am learning that it is okay just to live for today and not have a specific plan. When we learn to let go and let God then we are accepting that He is in control and will guide us. We can soar in the knowledge of His protection and we are free. Free to release control to Him. I don’t want to live everyday without a plan because for me I don’t have enough discipline to do what I need to do but it is fun to have days every once in a while that you can just “BE”. We all need days like this. What fun they can be. Angela and I came up with “BE” days when she was in middle school; these are days when you do what you want, watch a movie, read a book, scrapbook, or make cookies and eat all of them while they are still warm. These days are meant to restore and refresh for the days to come. Thank you, Father that You allow us to “be”, to rest in You and receive the comfort that only comes from You.

I am learning to live in the moments with plans and the moments when my plans change. I want to have the attitude of peace and joy no matter what.

I wonder what his plans for the day are. He looks happy an
d content. Are you?




1 comment:

Angela said...

I miss our "Be" days together! Oh and I think that the cow looks very content. I'm a little jealous.