Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Let it Snow (or ice)!!



One of the fun things about working in the school system is the anticipation of snow days. Teachers as well as the children get all excited wondering if we will be out of school when there is a chance of snow or as in the case today a chance of ice in the forecast. There is talk of doing the "snow dance" and the run on the grocery stores that always make me smile. I always say that I won't panic and go to the store on night before the big event but I found myself at Walmart last night buying up my bread and milk and cookies and chips and any other snack food that sounded good. I really did "need" some groceries and it was fun to be in the store watching what others would put in their cart. I got some ideas on what to buy such as cereal, hot dogs and the ever popular snow food of bread and milk!!

I went to bed last night wondering if there would be enough to close the schools for today and sure enough at 5:30 this morning the phone rang saying that our school system would be closed for the day. Looking outside ( a few hours later and sleeping in a little) there really didn't seem to be much out there but when I looked harder I could see a thin layer of ice on the driveway and sidewalk.

I was reminded of how sometimes things are not really as they seem. Everything outside looked normal at first glance but by looking closer I could see the danger that was looming if the ice was not given the respect it deserved. We must always be on guard to not be too causal in our everyday lives.

I am excited about the extra day off this week and plan to do fun things like make cookies, wrap presents and watch White Christmas!!

No comments: